Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Yuko Datotsu Waza: Remembering how to strike!

Every practitioner has issues of figuring out what is an acceptable strike and what is not. Yuko datotsu waza is essential in Kendo and the only way you can get better is through practicing kihon through uchikomi practice. This is where understanding Ki ken tai ichi - as form/waza, posture, kiai, and zanshin must come together as one, to strike a selected target - one of the most difficult but yet gives Kendo its subtle beauty of being able call your shots.

Well in my absence it appears that I have forgotten how to strike correctly. Regardless I find myself thrown into bogu and attempting to score yuko datotsu waza against kenshi that are at least ten years my junior and have been practicing twice a week for the past five to six years.

The funny thing is, in the past, I would be crying and complaining about my situation. Through my life experience, I've learned that its not about other people... It's more about me... Meaning that I need to learn how to manage my own Kendo, "own it" so to speak, and challenge them as I challenge myself to evolve and gain my ability back.

Luckily I have been working with a good group of members at Covina Kendo Dojo, who have allowed me to practice with them as they prepare for the upcoming Nisei Week Team tournament.
While I know they are practicing hard on situational Kendo, against various levels of difficulty, mudansha and yudansha, they continue to strive to do the same... They aim to be able to strike that yuko datotsu waza.

While only being back a month, I know that I have to build my skill set again. Every week I continue to practice, footwork and timing continue to improve, especially when striking men. I believe that kihon dictates how you should develop naturally. That is one aspect of Japanese and Okinawan martial arts that I love. Nothing is forced. Your development is either reinforced by repetition so that you learn with your body or technique is fostered through application. In my case, focused uchikomi practice and suburi have allowed me to redevelop my kendo faster as my body just needed to just reclaim form. I don't want to sound cliche but it's like riding a bike.

Far from perfect, with my men strike or ai-men timing coming back, it has kept my opponents second guessing my techniques. While I haven't been able to take advantage of the said openings, such as, de-kote or my do strike, I feel optimistic that they will slowly return as I continue to work on form, waza, and my zanshin.

So with that said, I want to wish the Covina Kendo Nisei Week Team good luck this coming weekend... Leave it all out on the floor!

Gambatte!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment